Remember: Only holistic approach to Thyroid disorders is advised.
Our patients are interested in being healthy. We are interested in helping them achieve their goals. It requires cooperation and dedication. It is often not an easy journey but we are prepared to take it and do whatever it takes to reach the final destination with success.
Do not hesitate to call us and speak to one of our specialist about the health problem you have. We have a dedicated international team of doctors and therapists focusing on Thyroid and hormonal problems. Using the best of modern medical technology and combined knowledge, we are here to help.
Please find the following information regarding Thyroid and hormonal disorders arranged for you:
1.Thyroid gland – basic information
3.Conventional and holistic approach
4.Obesity and metabolic syndrome
Ad.1 Thyroid gland
Thyroid gland is considered as one of the main endocrine gland which plays an important role in regulating many body’s internal processes. The Thyroid gland is situated in the front part of the neck, below the larynx and it has two lobes; one on each side of the trachea, joined by a part of tissue called the isthmus.
The Thyroid gland produces three major hormones: Thyroxine (T4), Triiodothyronine (T3) and Calcitonin. T4 and T3 are important in controlling the body’s metabolism, and Calcitonin helps to regulate calcium balance, however some sources claim that Calcitonin has no significant effect on calcium metabolism at physiological concentrations.
Ad.2 Thyroid disorders
Disorders of the Thyroid gland have a very significant impact on human body. They may cause hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, enlargement or distortion of the gland. Other common disorders are Myxoedema, Grave’s disease, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and Goitre, which may occur without accompanying abnormalities of the thyroid.
Typical pathology of the thyroid gland is related to thyroid over activity, like hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis (mentioned above) are very common these days. It is usually caused by Grave’s disease or toxic multinodular goitre. The second group of disorders is related to the thyroid under activity, called hypothyroidism, and it is usually caused by Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, autoimmune disorder.
Ad.3 Conventional and holistic approach
Conventional approach primary involves the measurement of a single thyroid blood test; the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). The TSH is secreted in order to stimulate the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone. If the TSH is elevated, it means that the pituitary gland recognises low levels of the thyroid hormone in the body and therefore increases the amount of the TSH to stimulate the thyroid for a greater production of hormones. Unfortunately many cases confirm that the TSH test itself does not solve the problem and is, on its own, inadequate form of diagnosis. The usual range of the TSH test is from 0.4-4.5 mIU/L. When TSH test shows higher levels than this range, hypothyroidism is diagnosed. It is unfortunate, however, that this test is not precise and surely not very effective as a sole means of measure leaving around 5% of the population undiagnosed properly and the rest 95% diagnosed way too late. The conventional treatment is usually based on prescribing a synthetic form of T4, e.g. Levothyroxine Sodium products: Levothyroid®, Synthyroid®, and Unithyroid®.
In conventional approach, a physician will monitor TSH levels to gauge whether thyroid gland function properly or not. Even though TSH is indeed very sensitive to circulating T4 levels, and as T4 levels decline, TSH will increase in order to stimulate thyroid gland, it is not the only way of proper monitoring. The problem with such approach is that this way of monitoring TSH levels does not state how much T4 is being converted into its more active form, T3. We simply do not have any way to figure out through a lab test how T3 is functioning inside of a cell, and testing only TSH does not give us enough data to provide an adequate diagnosis.
Here we come to a holistic approach which involves all there: TSH, T4 and T3 in order to obtain a more complete picture of the situation. Apart from the blood tests, a medical history is taken under consideration, basal body temperature and other physical signs. The holistic approach to treating hypothyroidism also involves using natural products like Armour® Thyroid or Nature-Thyroid™, the desiccated thyroid glandular products which are porcine derivatives. One of the biggest advantages of using Armour® Thyroid is that it contains T4, T3, T2, T1, Calcitonin hormones and Selenium and diuretic component which is very important for those experiencing oedema., Levothyroxine products contain only the synthetic form of T4.
More about holistic approach can be found here: